Rich Mathematical Tasks
Open Ended Questions - Below are sites which showcase great ways to ask open ended questions.
- Problem of the month - Not all questions align with our curriculum; ensure the program of studies is followed.
- 180 days of Estimation-180 different pictures, which uses referents and estimation skills.
- 101 Questions based on pictures and video - Shows images/videos and asks "Any Questions". Has a top 10. Uses the idea of "Math as a 3 act play".
- Would you rather math - Students have to pick from two choices and defend their choice.
- Which one doesn't belong - Students have to decide which of the items is not like the others.
- Fraction Talks
- Question Stems - POSTER
- Inquiry Math
- Open Middle - Great questions for Middle School
- Eyes on Math Visuals
- Notice and Wonder - Many visuals you can show and simply say "What do you notice? What do you wonder?"
- K- 8 Math lessons - Math Solutions Lessons
Number Talks - Getting your students talking in class.
- Specific examples of Number Talks K-5.
- Number string
- Book Study
- Dot Cards Game - Dots Fingers Game
- Dot Cards
- More dot cards
- Cube Conversations
- Unit Chats
- Dice Chats
Problems worth solving - 541 math problems worth solving made by Albertan Teachers
Youcubed - Jo Boaler's site, that has multiple open ended tasks and questions.
VisualPatterns - Site that shows various patterns and asks for a specific pattern number.
NCTM Illuminations - Interactive applets and lessons
Graph of the week - graphs to discuss in class.
Numeracy Tasks - From Peter Liljedahl. Many of these tasks were co-constructed with, and piloted by, teachers from Coquitlam (sd43), Prince George (sd57), and Kelowna (sd23). The tasks are listed individually as word documents so that they can be downloaded and altered to suit your specific context.
Break out Boxes - Using the idea of the "Escape Room" in your class. K - 12
- Breakout EDU
- Digital Break out boxes
- How to set the locks:
Get the Math - Algebra in Math
Patterning - Talk about Patterns and Algebra
"Mobile" problems - problems that use a mobile to determine balance
Weekly Math Tasks - Weekly Math Tasks
Graphing stories http://www.
Counting circles https://iamamathnerd.
Bovine Math - Cows, cows, and more cows
Menu Tasks - Students must create equations, numbers, graphs, and more, based on certain criteria.
Julia Robinson Math Festival - Puzzle books and great mathematical problems.