The Board Policy Handbook was developed to highlight and support the very important governance function of the Board. It clearly defines the role of the Board, the role of the Superintendent and the delegation of authority from the Board to the Superintendent. It also includes the following as policies:
- Foundational statements to provide guidance and direction for all activities within the Division;
- Directions to the Board on how it is to function, on how individual trustees are to conduct themselves and how Board committees and representatives are to function;
- Statements on how appeals and hearings are to be conducted;
- Non-delegable matters such as school closures and policy-making;
- Specific matters which the Board has chosen to not delegate to the Superintendent.
This Board Policy Handbook is intended to be supplemented by the Administrative Procedures Manual, the primary written document by which the Superintendent directs staff. The Administrative Procedures Manual must be entirely consistent with this Handbook.
The development of two separate and distinct documents is meant to reinforce the distinction in the Division between the Board’s responsibility to govern and the Superintendent’s executive and administrative duties.