Health and Wellness
Red Deer Catholic Regional Schools is committed to a comprehensive school health approach that promotes health, well-being, and the ability to learn by supporting healthy eating and physical activity. Students and staff who are supported in a healthy environment are better able to achieve the goals of education.
Our Health and Wellness Coordinator, Char Andrew, is responsible for the development, implementation and evaluation of the Division’s comprehensive school health program, including needs assessment, action plan and data collection. This also includes the school employee wellness program. Mrs. Andrew regularly communicates with our Administration about the status of these programs, and frequently promotes wellness education through seminars, workshops, courses and special events that emphasize awareness, prevention and positive health behaviour change. Mrs. Andrew also works alongside Alberta Health Services to ensure that provincial information is communicated effectively at the school level.
Associations and Partnerships
- Community Health Providers: Alberta Health Services, hospitals, neighbourhood clinics, Red Deer Primary Care Network, Heart and Stroke Foundation, Canadian Cancer Society, Canadian Mental Health, Canadian Diabetes Association
- Healthy Living Organizations: Be Fit For Life Center, Rise Up Red Deer, In Motion Network, Physical and Health Education Canada, Alberta Centre of Active Living, Canadian Council for Health & Active Living, Child Youth Friendly Red Deer, PLAY Central
- Associations Dedicated to School Health: Ever Active Schools, Physical Education Consultants of Alberta, Alberta Coalition for Healthy School Communities, Canadian Association for School Health
School and Parent Resources
Comprehensive School Health
Positive Mental Health Project
- Iris the Dragon - free eBooks to teach about mental health to kids
- Child & Youth Mental Health Toolkits
Physical Literacy/Active Living