On this week's Wellness Wednesday Char examines how to strengthen the hip abductors.
Strengthening your hip abductors can help improve the quality of your life. These muscles include gluteus medius and gluteus minimus. They are essential for standing, walking, balance and stability.
Symptoms you might have weak hip abductors:
- Constantly shifting your weight from side to side
- Pain in hips and low back after a long or even short walk
- Poor balance. You have a hard time balancing on 1 leg.
- Knee pain without ever having a knee injury
Two exercise you can do to strengthen your hip abductors:
- Lateral steps with a slight pause. 30-40 sec daily or 3 to 4 times a week
- Side leg lifts 12 reps each leg. 3 to 4 times a week.
*As you get stronger you could add a resistance loop to the exercises.Posted on