This week's Wellness Wednesday features Char going over the finer points of proper pushups.
Here's a plan for improving your push-up skills:
- Do 3 sets of 12 reps of your modification of choice, 3 times a week for 2 weeks
- Do 3 sets of 15 reps of that same modification, 3 times a week for 2 weeks
- Move on to a more challenging modification and repeat this 4-week plan.
Here's how to do these three modifications.
1. Wall Push-Ups
- Stand a few feet away from a wall (the further away you stand, the more challenging the move will be).
- Lean forward and place your hands on the wall in front of you, slightly wider than shoulder-width apart.
- Bend and straighten your arms to complete a push-up.
2. Incline Push-Ups
- Place your arms on a bench, table, or couch and extend your legs straight behind you so that you're in an elevated plank position. Again, your hands should be slightly wider than shoulder-width apart.
- Keeping your body in a straight line and your elbows close to your body, bend and straighten your arms to complete a push-up.
3. Knee Push-Ups
- Start in a high plank with your shoulders above your wrists and your spine long. This picture shows your hands in a diamond push-up position, which is great for targeting your triceps, but for this modification place your hands slightly wider than shoulder-width apart.
- Drop to your knees, rolling to the top of your knees to protect your knee caps.
- Bend your elbows and lower your chest to the ground.
- Push through the palms of your hands to straighten your arms.
#rdcrs #wellnesswednesdayPosted on