Updates on COVID-19
The Alberta Government announced on July 21, 2020 that students will return to in-person classes for the 2020/2021 school year under Scenario 1 with enhanced health and safety measures. Please see Scenario 1 Re-Entry Guidelines at https://www.alberta.ca/k-to-12-school-re-entry-2020-21-school-year.aspx
Our school division has been working on a Relaunch Plan since the beginning of June to ensure our schools are safe with in-person classes starting this fall.
We have the following health and safety measures already in place in our schools:
- Hand sanitizer stations are placed at every entrance
- Hand sanitizer in every classroom and student spaces
- Extra cleaning of high touch surface areas by day people and custodial staff
- Physical distancing markers inside, as well as outside
- Water fountains have been covered for water bottles only
- Protection screens being placed at front entries of schools
- Educational materials and signage posted in schools
- We have purchased PPE for all of our staff
- Purchasing disinfectant supplies for all classrooms
The Alberta Government has developed a comprehensive re-entry tool kit to prepare parents and students for what to expect in the new school year. The tool kit includes videos for students explaining some of the health measures, a guide for parents, frequently asked questions, school posters, a self-screening questionnaire in multiple languages and links to health guidelines.
Mandatory Use of Masks
The Alberta Government announced on August 4 that non-medical masks will be mandatory for Grade 4-12 students and staff when school returns for in-person instruction on August 31, 2020. Pre-Kindergarten - Grade 12 students will be provided with two reusable non-medical masks. Non-medical masks will be required in all shared and common spaces, such as hallways and on school buses. Masks will remain optional for Pre-Kindergarten - Grade 3 students.
For more information on the announcement, please visit the Alberta Government website.
Please read our parent letter on what to expect this upcoming school year.
Where can we get updated information on COVID-19?
Parent Help Line
Alberta Education has instituted a helpline and email for parents of students during COVID-19 and at-home learning. The line is 780-422-6548 (toll-free by first dialing 310-0000, followed by the 10-digit phone number) or via email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
The Parent Help Line will be answered Monday through Friday from 8:15 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.
What can I do to prevent the spread of COVID-19?
To help prevent the spread of illness, we are encouraging you to do the following:
- Wash your hands often and well. Refer to hand-washing guidance at https://www.albertahealthservices.ca/info/Page14955.aspx
- Avoid touching your face, nose, or mouth with unwashed hands.
- Avoid close contact with people who are sick
- Clean and disinfect surfaces that are frequently touched
- Stay at home and away from others if you are feeling ill
- When sick, cover your cough and sneeze and then wash your hands. Refer to respiratory etiquette guidance at https://www.albertahealthservices.ca/info/Page14511.aspx
You can also find more information at https://www.alberta.ca/coronavirus-info-for-albertans.aspx