In Red Deer and Olds:
Red Deer and Olds have bylaws that prohibit school buses from using red flashing lights and motorists need to be extra-vigilant when driving safely near a stopped school bus.
- When you see a school bus, assume students will be around and take extra care.
- Please leave lots of space around the bus.
In Sylvan Lake, Blackfalds, Innisfail and Rocky Mountain House, as well as surrounding counties including Red Deer County:
- When you see a school bus, assume students will be around and take extra care. Please leave lots of space around the bus.
- When the school bus turns on the flashing yellow lights, this means it is about to stop and pick up/drop off students. Slow down and prepare to stop.
- When the bus turns on the flashing red lights – this means STOP in BOTH directions. Never pass a school bus with flashing red lights in either direction. It’s against the law. Stop well back, about 20 meters from the bus. If you have any doubt what to do – STOP.